Ranger Jess


January 3, 2022


This is a flashback to April of 2018 after getting back from my epic spring break in Spain with Jo.


After spending my whole spring break naked with Joe in Fuerteventura, it was really hard to settle back into a regular clothed routine.  For the first week of being home, I would go right up upstairs after school and just stay naked in my room and sketch and do my homework.  My mom and dad began worrying that I was depressed or doing drugs.  


Eventually I settled back into wearing clothes and going about my normal life. 


I eagerly watched the weather forecast through a dreary winter and finally in the second week of April the temperature was set to pop up into the mid 60’s and that was good enough for me.  I slipped out of the house with my bike one clear Saturday morning and headed out to the nature preserve.  I biked past the gate onto the fire trail and stopped at my favorite oak tree.  I peeled off my clothes and started biking up the trails.  


It felt so great!  I wished Jo was with me.  I biked thru the dappled sunshine and trees remembering the roads that Jo and I had traveled, naked and free.  I was loving the feeling of the wind on my naked body, barreling down a gravel trail and as I turned a curve, I ran straight into a little park ranger ATV with the ranger standing right next to it.  I hit my breaks so hard that the bike pitched forward and I tumbled onto the gravel road, my bike crashing down next to me.  


“I’m ok!” I announced, holding my scraped elbow and embarrassed by my awkward spill onto the road.  


“Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you.”  The ranger replied, moving to help me up.  “I'm surprised you’ve only got a scrape or two, that was a wicked spill you took.”


The ranger helped me up and introduced herself as Ranger Jess.  “If you’re not going to wear a helmet, you really should be more careful and watch your speed young miss.”  She cautioned me.  It struck me as funny that I was standing in front of this park ranger completely naked, and she was just taking to me about not wearing a helmet.

She made sure I was ok and inspected my bike to make sure it wasn’t too damaged.  For a moment we stood chatting, looking at each other and I finally had to ask her;


“Aren’t you going to arrest me, or give me some sort of ticket?”


“For what?”  Ranger Jess asked.


“Well, I don’t know… ” I said, extending my arms out and calling attention to my naked body.  “You've probably that noticed I am completely naked.”


“Well, this Mendocino County open space preserve.”  Ranger Jess began, “In Mendocino County, you can choose to recreate naked as long as you are more than 300 feet from a public right of way, road or camping area.”


“You mean”, I stammered, “I’m not actually breaking the law by riding around naked here?”


“No.  If you were breaking the law, I would have given you a citation last year when I first saw you running around my woods naked.”  She said with a smile.


I was completely speechless.  This ranger has been watching me ride around the preserve naked for a year.


I biked home feeling a mixture of gratitude and disappointment.  All this time I thought I was taking some huge risk by being naked here in the open space preserve, I was actually free to be naked.  It made me wonder, how many of us have permission, have the right to be naked and we never know it.  How many of us just assume we don’t have the freedom to be naked, but we actually do.


 

Comments

  1. Hey friends, it's Val. I managed to get myself locked out of my own blog for a while, but I figured out how to get back into Majestic Pathways so I can continue telling my story. Thanks for e-mailing me and checking in to make sure I'm ok. More fun stories to come.
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very lucky to live by a natural place that allows simple nudity. It's a real blessing for nudists and naturists. Many places in the world do not allow this simple joy. Nurture this wonderful opportunity and keep sharing your beautiful paintings and stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do live in a very special time and place for practicing naturism. I hope this blog proves that a rich, full naturist life awaits anyone who takes the time to seek out the opportunities to live a free, naked life.

      Delete
  3. So good to see you back here! Love hearing all of your stories about being accepted nude in so many places, and by so many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog. I am glad my stories are engaging for you. I may get busy from time to time with school, but I love the little community that has gathered around this blog and it will always be dear to me.

      Delete
  4. "I biked home feeling a mixture of gratitude and disappointment. All this time I thought I was taking some huge risk by being naked here in the open space preserve, I was actually free to be naked. It made me wonder, how many of us have permission, have the right to be naked and we never know it. How many of us just assume we don’t have the freedom to be naked, but we actually do."

    I found it very amusing that you confessed to a degree of disappointment, because I share the feeling. We nudists enjoy our nudity and I believe most of us would love to see the normalization of the naked body to become universal in our lifetimes. But there's still some guilty pleasure, some enjoyment, for some of us, in the fact that with our nudity we are rebelling against the norms that we deem as archaic in that regard.

    I do envy, to an extent, that the country you live in offers more options to roam textile free than mine, even more, apparently, than you yourself are aware of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you perfectly described this mix of emotions in being a nudist. The longing to see nakedness as normal, and unremarkable in every situation; yet at the same time, feeling the thrill that comes with being out there, and risking something that others haven't quite come to accept yet.

      Delete
  5. I have really enjoyed reading your stories. I could only dream of some of the experiences that you have so beautifully described and illustrated. But I can really relate to this particular story. I live in Santa Rosa and I make the drive north past the County line into Mendocino County just so I can hike naked along the Russian River. The feeling of being so free in nature is worth the 45 minute drive up there and back. It was good to read that "Ranger Jess" had the same take on nudity that I had always understood Mendocino County to have.

    If you're still in the area and are looking for a hiking buddy, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad the stories connect with you. If you are out in open space, there are all different types. The are city parks and recreation areas run by the local town. On top of the city park areas, there are county run open space areas, state parks and open space preserves and then there are federal, and bureau of land management open space preserves, and all of them have different policies toward nudity. You almost have to be a legal expert to figure out which rules apply, but it is great when you do find out where you are within your rights to be naked.

      I am down in LA now and not up in Northern California very often, but please enjoy your hikes.

      Val

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts