Super Unconventional


 October 23, 2021


“Before we start dating, there is something you should know about me.”


It’s a beautiful fall morning and I am sitting across the table from a boy named Tony at a Pasadena cafe called Pequod rehearsing those words in my head.


Tony Murillo is a transportation design senior at Art Center and a friend of Clara, one of my room mates.  He is a really bright, talented guy from San Diego and after he started dropping by our apartment, he asked Clara for my number and called me up to invite me out for a coffee date.


I’m just going to come out and say it - making naturism a big part of how I want to live has made dating tricky.  I became a member of Muir Grove and dove into naturism just about the time that I should have stared dating in high school.  I did go to prom with a boy and I went out with groups of friends, but I didn’t seriously date anyone from Silver Lake because in the back of my mind, I was hoping to meet a boy I could date at my club.  That would have been so ideal because that is where I wanted to spend all my fun time and I wouldn’t have to worry about introducing my boyfriend into my subculture.


There wasn’t anyone my age that I clicked with at Muir Grove and now that I’m in college, it was time for me to just try dating and being honest about who I am. 


“You know,” I sip my coffee and look across at Tony, “I’m sort of pro-environment, which means I’m anti-car.  Isn’t that what you are studying to design, cars?”


Tony shakes a bit of sugar into his mocha and smiles with an - I got this - kind of grin.  “To be anti-car in LA, that’s a bit like saying you opposed to breathing.”  He reaches across the table and picks up my cell phone.  “In the next ten years, I will be designing cars that will travel over one hundred and fifty miles on less energy than it takes to power this phone for four hours.”


I can see passion and idealism in his eyes, and that is a real turn on for me.


“That’s wild.”  I take another sip.  “Making a positive change is what I want my life to be about too, that’s why I want naturism to be a really big part of how I live.”


“Like...”  He has a quizzical look on his face.  “Going out in the woods and planting trees?”


“Like knowing myself well enough to live naked, live as simply and honestly as possible.”


“Um…” he puts his coffee down.  “Back up again to that naked part.”


“Presenting my true, honest self to others is really important,” my voice quivers a bit because this is so damn awkward.  “I belong to a naturist club and spend a lot of time naked, with other people who are also naked.”


“Does this mean you’re polyamorous?”


“No” I assure him.  “I, like most naturist people prefer traditional relationships.  We just believe that living naked is a very healthy state of being.  Do you think you can date someone who spends a lot of time naked around other naked people?”


Tony pauses for a moment.  “Well, I think its kind of hot.”


“It’s not supposed to be hot Tony.”  I am annoyed with him, but understanding our culture, his response is completely understandable.  “It’s supposed to be healthy, family oriented and non-sexual.  If we are going to date, you will have to understand that there are situations where nudity has nothing to do with sex.”


From spending so much time at Muir Grove and meeting so many couples, I had heard lots of advice about how to introduce your partner or potential partner to naturism.  Maybe some of you readers can comment on your experiences dating as a naturist.  Everyone at the club was very clear that this conversation has to happen very soon in a relationship - so poor Tony was broadsided on our first date.


“I like unconventional Valerie” he smiles.  “I am all about supporting all the wonderful, creatives ways you live your life, and I hope you can bring me along on your journey.”

Comments

  1. Another great piece. Introducing others to naturism is often awkward, due to the fact that we, naturists, know what naturism is about, while most textiles associate nudity to sex. My experience is always in two parts: 1. explain what naturism is really (magazines and books help in this, and I often lend a couple of them), 2. invite them spend sometime at a resort/campsite so they can experience what naturism is really. If they agree to the second point, the "battle" is almost won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marc. Let’s see how well this will go. It is one thing for someone to say they support your commitment to naturism, its another for them to be secure enough in who they are to join you in shedding their clothes and experiencing the world naked.

      Delete
    2. True Valerie. Being secure takes far more time than we generally anticipate. You'll need to be patient, but who knows, it may happen fast. The one important point is to be very open minded, understanding and benevolent.

      Delete
  2. That’s more or less how I did it. It wasn’t our first date, but fairly early on. I basically did the same thing and told her I prefer to be naked whenever possible. We’ve now been married several years and have a few young kids. We’ve all been to our local nudist club a handful of times. She’s still not super naked all the time, but she has no problem with nudity. So, like many parts of marriage, for us this is a matter of enjoying each other for who we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so hoping to see a comment like yours. It is wonderful to hear about a couple who has experienced naturism together and let it be a core experience that they share together. Thank you for sharing this. I hope your marriage remains happy and strong and she sounds wonderful.

      Delete
  3. I just started to enjoy sleeping nude. It seems like nudism just grows on you. When I am alone now, I am nude. It is relaxing. I am trying online dating, but find it hard to balance being open about the comfort of being nude and not coming across as being creepy.

    Since I am a guy, it is harder to do that. What can I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email is jebleb100@gmail.com. I just want advice.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ned, if you are honest and sincere and genuinely respect other people, I don’t think that enjoying nudity is going to come across as creepy, even if you are a guy. Girls might think of this as quirky, but if you are a nice guy, by nudism by itself doesn’t make you creep. The nice thing about social nudity is that you meet lots of couples at clubs and you hear stories of how it works in relationships and how people come together. I would really suggest talking to more naturist couples and seeing how it worked out for them.
      Thanks for leaving the comment.

      Delete
  4. I remember bringing my wife to Elysium nudist resort in Los Angeles when we first started dating. I had already told her that she had to be comfortable with my being a nudist or our relationship was not going to work. So on our first trip to Elysium, we were sitting out in the grassy field and she said "Don't leave my side." To this day I have no idea what was going through her mind or what she was so scared was going to happen, but after about 15 minutes, she looked at me and said, "You know, this feels pretty good!" She was hooked after that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts