Play the Game






August 21


I spent as much of the rest of the afternoon as possible with the Mind’s Eye Society troupe before having to leave to meet my friends at the pool.  I watched them play out their elaborate roles in this game they were preparing for.  All of the players adjusted to my nudity pretty quickly.  My nakedness was just another unusual state of dress in this collection of very strangely dressed characters.  One of the other players in their troupe was a girl from my school named Hanna.  Hanna was a freshman track star and long distance runner, I didn’t expect her to be into this geek, theatrical role playing stuff.  Her costume incorporated fake fur wraps and a fur hat.  At one point in their rehearsal, she looked at me and complained to the troupe...  “Can I just be naked like Val for this rehearsal?  These fucking costumes are ridiculous in this heat.”


They quickly came up with a role for me to participate in their scenario.  Casey scribbled out some lines for me to memorize in a note pad and they taught me different spells to protect myself and the group.  The game is played with a series of hand signals matched against hand signals selected by opponents - basically a really elaborate version of rock, paper scissors.  


“Try to memorize these lines and scenarios and get as many spells down as you can, and we will see you out in this same spot on Thursday.”  Casey told me.


“Do I have to wear clothes?”  I ask the troupe.


“This is rehearsal, clothes shouldn’t  matter”  was Hanna’s answer.  “Spells matter - know your spells.”

Comments

Popular Posts